• Since 2011, the BHDA has approved grants as incentives to improve the neighborhood
• Homeowners in the Historic District may apply for one grant in each category on an annual basis
• Grants are not available to owners of commercial properties or institutions
• A $40 processing fee will be deducted from grant total for non BHDA members
• Documentation must be submitted with the application form including HARB certificate and city permits as
applicable and a copy of the paid invoice
• All grants are subject to availability of funds and board approval. Grants may be capped if needed.
• The Grant application form is available on the website. Get your grant application here.
Requirements and Information
Grant One: Street Tree Trimming
BHDA will reimburse 50% of the cost, up to $2000.00, for all tree trimming work performed in the “curb
section” of the homeowner’s property. The “curb section” is defined as the area between the public sidewalk
and the public road. Multiple tree reimbursement requests must be applied for in a single grant request.
Grant Two: Street Removal and/or Tree Replacement
BHDA will reimburse up to $800.00 per tree within the “curb section” of the homeowner’s property. For the
reimbursement, a removed tree MUST be replaced with a city-certified tree. Exemption may be granted if
tree planting is restricted. The “curb section” is defined as the area between the public sidewalk and the public
road. An additional $250.00 may be approved for stump grinding within the “curb section”. Multiple tree
reimbursement requests must be applied for in a single grant request. Trees that die due to homeowner neglect are not eligible for reimbursement.
Grant Three: Sidewalk Repair
BHDA will reimburse for sidewalk repair or replacement at 100% of the total cost up to $1000.00. Additional
reimbursement may be considered for materials used to enhance the historic value of the property. This grant
has a maximum reimbursement of $5000. Special consideration may be given to corner properties.
Grant Four: Exterior Lighting
BHDA will reimburse 50% of the cost up to $1000.00 for the entire project (installation and fixture), The
lighting must cast light on a sidewalk or public way. Additionally, 100% of the cost of lighting controls and
their installation (e.g. timers and motion detectors) will be reimbursed.
Return your completed application to:
BHDA-Grants, P.O. Box 1952, Bethlehem, PA 18016-1952
Please direct questions to email@example.com
– Applications for city permits, and HARB’s Certificate of Appropriateness, may be obtained
at the Zoning Office located in the Department of Community and Economic Development in
– HARB meets the first Wednesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. in the Rotunda at City Hall,
applications must be returned by the last Wednesday of the month. You, or a representative, must
be present at the meeting, and your application is complete only when HARB’s recommendation is
approved by City Council.
– Grant Application Forms can be downloaded from our website: bhda.org.