BHDA HOMEOWNER GRANTS APPLICATION FORM
Homeowners may apply for only ONE grant in EACH category annually. Grant form(s) must be received no later than 180 days after the completion and payment of work
* PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:
- Receipt(s) for the completed project or copy of the PAID signed contract with service provider.
- Copy of HARB approval, if applicable
- Copy of City permit, as applicable – tree trimming, removal, replacement; sidewalk repair; ext. lighting
- Applications and information for city permits and HARB certificates may be obtained at City Hall
- A pre-evaluation can be provided to confirm proposed work meets the grant criteria
- A pre-evaluation WILL NOT guarantee approval of the grant
- Grants approvals are subject to BHDA board approval and funds availability
- If approved, home address, grant type and grant amount may be shared in our newsletter and/or website
BHDA HOMEOWNER GRANTS REQUIREMENTS AND INFORMATION:
- Since 2011, the BHDA has approved grants as incentives to improve the neighborhood
- Homeowners in the Historic District may apply for one grant in each category on an annual basis
- Grants are not available to owners of commercial properties or institutions
- A $40 processing fee will be deducted from grant total for non BHDA members
- Documentation must be submitted with the application form; HARB certificate and city permits as applicable and a copy of the paid invoice
- All grants are subject to availability of funds and board approval. Grants may be capped if needed.
- Grant application form is available above or by mail in.
Grant One: Street Tree Trimming BHDA
will reimburse 50% of the cost, up to $2000.00, for all tree trimming work performed in the “curb section” of the homeowner’s property. The “curb section” is defined as the area between the public sidewalk and the public road. Multiple tree reimbursement requests must be applied for in a single grant request.
Grant Two: Street Tree Removal and/or Replacement
BHDA will reimburse up to $800.00 per tree within the “curb section” of the homeowner’s property. For the reimbursement, a removed tree MUST be replaced with a city-certified tree. Exemption may be granted if tree planting is restricted. The “curb section” is defined as the area between the public sidewalk and the public road. An additional $250.00 may be approved for stump grinding within the “curb section”. Multiple tree reimbursement requests must be applied for in a single grant request. Trees that die due to homeowner neglect are not eligible for reimbursement.
Grant Three: Sidewalk Repair
“Sidewalk” determined by City’s definition BHDA will reimburse for sidewalk repair or replacement at 100% of the total cost up to $2000.00 and 50% of the cost thereafter up to a maximum of $5000. Special consideration may be given to corner properties.
Grant Four: Exterior Lighting
BHDA will reimburse 50% of the cost up to $1000.00 for the entire project (installation and fixture), The lighting must cast light on a sidewalk or public way. Additionally, 100% of the cost of lighting controls and their installation (e.g. timers and motion detectors) will be reimbursed.